Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Hi I have an important question to me. First I took care

Customer Question

Hi I have an important question to me.

First I took care of an old man and he gave me a large sum of money for doing so. I took care of him for 7 years and his family never even called or visited.

About 2 months while he was in the hospital his family heard he was not home, visited him in the hospital and wanted me out of the picture (ex-boyfriends dad). I wanted to quit taking care of him, but he had nobody else.

Needless to say he gave me the money before the hospital, I took care of all household expenses including mail everyday and cats, and he signed every check that was written because I got his okay first. I then got power of attorney 8 days before family came and then it was taken away and given to an aunt.

When the family got involved they pressed 4 Felony charges on me wanting everything back. I am 43 years old, a single mother with 2 teenagers still living at home.

I had about $15,000 in cash at my home, and I wanted to give it back but could not find it and did not know where it went.

So I pleaded to a misdemeaner 2, misapropriation of funds, and went to court on Tuesday April 23, 2013. He had also put a credit card in his name first with me as authorized buyer so that I could pay off the bills his son left me with because he left me with a ton of bills including my only vehicle which had a $500 a month payment.

When the money dissapeard my new boyfriend of about 6 months suddenly moved out. We still talked and then he moved back in about 6 months later. Well he moved out again April 11, 2013, and someone told me because he was sure I was going to jail.

I ended up getting 2 years probation, 100 hours community service, and I have to pay back $6075 plus court costs which comes to almost $8000. I am also not alowed to contact the family in any way.

This new boyfriend bought a house for cash $10,000 without telling me. I ended up looking around at things he forgot and I found all of his bank statements from May 2012, which show numerous large cash deposits. I also have a copy of the check he used to pay for the house. Therefore, I strongly believe he stole the money from me and used it for himself.

I am not complaining of what I have to pay, etc ordered by the court, but I think I have enough proof showing what happened to the money. (He also left while my house was close to foreclosure and my car almost being reposessed).

Being so, I think he should get into some kind of trouble himself. If I take what I found to the arresting detective can he do something to get him in trouble also. I just do not think it is fair he left me holding the bag.

I did talk to the detective a few times, and he just kept saying that the boyfriend threw me under the bus, and it was a good thing I got rid of him not knowing I technically was still with him.

Please help. Thank you.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

I am sorry to hear you have encountered this situation.

Please tell me what information I can provide for you? What is the question, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I want to know what I can do to get the ex-boyfriend in some kind of trouble. I have been told that he was sure I was going to jail so he was just sticking around to make sure he did not get in trouble. Then when he realized I was not going to jail he split, tells me he is coming over, blows me off ect. It just is not fair to me. Is
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you.

I suggest that you bring this to the attention of the police and let them do an investigation into his bank accounts.

However, you will need to act quickly so that the Statute of Limitations on bringing criminal charges for this does not expired.

For a felony, the statute of limitations is 3 years and for a misdemeanor it is 2 years that the charge must be brought against a person for a crime.

So if you contact the police and explain his role in this, let them investigate. That way he could have charges filed against him, too

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.