Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My elderly Mother is in a nursing home that IMHO is not providing

My elderly Mother is in a nursing home that IMHO is not providing appropriate care. I wanted to take pictures/video of my Mother's condition and the nursing home claims I cannot because of HIPAA law. I am the family member on record to make all decisions for her. I thought HIPAA was about protecting patients--not the hostipal abuse. What can I do to prove the neglect happening to my Mother?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you information you are seeking.

With your mother's consent you can take pictures of her that do not include any other patients or the nursing staff in the pictures without their written consent. Most of these facilities are staffed by people who are not the brightest bulbs in the box so the facility will have a blanket no pictures policy.

However, even if it is not against HIPAA, the facility can have rules that are more strict than HIPAA and can prohibit all pictures. However, what they cannot prevent is you making a complaint to the Department of Health and Hospitals which governs these centers and also to Adult Protection Services whose duty it is to protect elderly and disabled adults. You should pursue complaints to both of these agencies if you believe there is neglect. You can be sneaky and sneak cell phone pictures of your mother when staff is not looking as well to support your claims.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”