Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in CAlifornia. THE DMV has attached my bank account

I live in CAlifornia. THE DMV has attached my bank account for around a $1000 for what they say is past DMV fees. I sent them the change of ownerships but they are ignoring it.
I am a disabled veteran and income is VA disability, Social security, and a state pension. Not only have they taken the money on 2 occasions the bank has charged me $50 each time. I have heard they can't take retirement/disability money. Is that correct?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Disability and retirement benefits are exempt from seizure or garnishment for all debts except student loans, government debts or child support. As this is a government debt, it is exempt from the normal prohibition against garnishment of those sources of income and banks can charge an administrative fee for having to process a garnishment or seizure notice I am afraid.

I am afraid you must file an appeal with DMV and get a hearing over your change of ownership filing to get the fine removed and your money reimbursed now that they have taken this action against you. DMV can reimburse you if you prove you properly filed and that this fine is improperly being collected.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”