Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

How long can an inmate remain in the county jail after being

How long can an inmate remain in the county jail after being sentenced to state prison. My husband was sentenced to 7 mos. state jail. He was charged with alleged evading arrest - he is in the county as of right now - he did prison time 23 years ago - so I'm sure his past had a part in the sentencing. My question is, since he's been sentence already will they actually move him to state jail since the time is minimal and if they do how long does it usually take?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

How long did he spend in jail before he was sentenced?

Customer:

He didn't spend anytime in jail - the sentence was something his lawyer and the prosecutor decided on.

TexLawyer :

OK. So, he didn't stay in jail from the time he was arrested until he was sentenced, correct? I assume he made bond after he was arrested.

Customer:

He spent two days in jail - and yes he bonded out - he's been in the county since last Tuesday the 23rd, when he turned himself in.

TexLawyer :

OK. To answer your question, there is no specific time that a prisoner must be transported to TDCJ. However, it usually happens fairly quickly (less than a month) because as long as he's in county jail, the county has to pay to house him. So, by getting him transfered to TDCJ as quickly as possible, they save that money and pass the cost to the state.

TexLawyer :

The exact time largely depends on how soon the county is taking a bus/van to TDCJ. They usually wait until they have several inmates ready to go, then they take them all at the same time.

Customer:

So even though he's been sentenced and the sentence is not nearly as high as other inmates, he will still be moved

TexLawyer :

Yes, seven months, while relatively short, is certainly long enough to warrant a transfer to TDCJ. I've seen transfers for people doing as little as 3 months. For the reasons I've described above, the county will want to do it to save money over the next 7 months.

Customer:

Thank you.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.