Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

RA-HCH

Customer Question

I NEED TO KNOW: HOW TO FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST SOMEONE THAT REQUIRES A JURY TO DECIDE THE CASE? I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO GO TO OBTAIN THE RIGHT PAPERS OR DOCUMENTS TO SUE. PLEASE HELP ME. I CAN NOT GET ANYWHERE ON MY OWN. SINCERELY, XXXXX XXXXX xxxx PLEASE ANSWER ME AT:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What type of suit does this involve? You are looking for a sample petition to file with the court? Will the suit be in federal or state court?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY DRIVER'S LICENSE WAS SUSPENDED BECAUSE: OF SPEEDING. I AM A100% DISABLED VETERAN WHO HAS A MEDICAL CONDITION: I HAVE TO TAKE ABOUT 10 OR 11 PILLS FOR HEART FAILURE. THE MEDICATION THEN INDUCES A PROBLEM: EXCESSIVE URINATION AND SUDDEN BOWEL MOVEMENTS. WHICH THEN FORCE ME TO SPEED OR HAVE AN ACCIDENT: BODILY ACCIDENT. THE CITY OR STATE POLICE JUST IGNORES WHAT I SAY AND WRITES ME UP FOR SPEEDING, SOMEONE NAMED "SAMUEL" FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS, SUSPENDED MY LICENSE IN APRIL OF 2012. THIS IS A VERY LONG STORY: I HOPE THAT I HAVE PROVIDED YOU WITH ENOUGH INFO. I'D LIKE TO SUE "SAMUEL AND THE TEXAS DEPT. OF PUBLIC SAFETY. REASON? I NEED TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST TWO SPEEDING VIOLATIONS; THAT WERE CAUSED BY: POLICE AND THE STATE. I WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO FILE: STATE OR FEDERAL COURT. THIS MATTER IS OVERWHEMING ME. I TRIED GETTING A LAWYER AND ALL LAWYERS DECLINED MY CASE. I JUST NEED YOUR INFO: ON HOW TO GET STARTED: 1. STATE OR FEDERAL COURT; 2. OBTAIN THE PROPER PAPERS TO GET STARTED.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation for me, Rolando.

Unfortunately, I've never handled this type of case, so I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals to get their opinion. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active, or rate this question yet as it would then discourage others from answering. Should a professional pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, before you can proceed to court, you must file an appeal with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, since they have exclusive jurisdiction over issuing of drivers licenses. At the DMV administrative hearing you will have to present medical testimony from your doctor about these medications and your medical condition as well as your ability to safely drive while taking these medications. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are entitled to a reasonable accommodation for having your driver's license and you will have to prove that the speeding is not an unreasonable action or unsafe action to others on the road as grounds to get your license reinstated.

Furthermore, if and when you get these speeding tickets in the future, you need to appear and plead not guilty and present medical evidence as to the emergency that existed for you violating the speed limit laws and many judges will dismiss the citations.

If the DMV denies your appeal to reinstate your license, then you can seek to take an action in state or federal court arguing that the denial of reinstatement is a violation of your right to reasonable accommodation under the ADA and will again have to present medical testimony that this accommodation is not only reasonable, but it does not create a danger to anyone else on the road, in order for the court to reverse the decision of the DMV.

This is the legal process to seek to have your license reinstated.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”