ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

ra-kur

Customer Question

Are directional signs (School turn in here) exempt from xx, xx Sign permit laws?

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Pearl. No, unfortunately this would require a permit. The xx Sign Code has a section specifically designating exceptions to the requirement of a permit being required, and in that section, it specifically says that directional signs do require a permit: Per xx Building Code Chapter 46 (xx Sign Code) Section 4605 a) On-premise signs no larger than 6 square feet in size, and no more than 5 feet in height, that display only business names or logos, setting forth the location of or directions to parking or buildings located on the premises, or regulating the flow of the on-premise traffic. Such directional signs may be lighted, consistent with the other requirements for electrical signs in this chapter and with the requirements of the Construction Code. Such directional signs shall be limited to a maximum of two in number for each entrance utilized for vehicular access to the business premises. A sign permit is required. b. Institutions of higher and medical institutions education may utilize a single directional sign per entrance in lieu of the two signs permitted above, provided such sign is no larger than 25 square feet in total size and no more than 8 feet in height, or no larger than 30 square feet in total size and no more than 6 feet in height; any illumination is indirect; and no more than 20 percent of the sign surface is devoted to the logo or entity name. Electronic signs, spectacular signs, and changeable message signs are prohibited. A sign permit is required. b) Institutions of higher and medical institutions education may utilize a single directional sign per entrance in lieu of the two signs permitted above, provided such sign is no larger than 25 square feet in total size and no more than 8 feet in height, or no larger than 30 square feet in total size and no more than 6 feet in height; any illumination is indirect; and no more than 20 percent of the sign surface is devoted to the logo or entity name. Electronic signs, spectacular signs, and changeable message signs are prohibited. A sign permit is required. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!