JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Can a consultant be named in a lawsuit against the company

Can a consultant be named in a lawsuit against the company he works for?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

If the consultant caused a legal injury, yes, the consultant can be named as a defendant/party in the lawsuit. More than one party can be named in a lawsuit. Thus, the lawsuit could name both the company and the individual consultant as defendants.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The consultant did nothing to cause legal injury to the plaintiffs and was not part of the company operations in any way. He was just a keyboard for hire (IT services).

Thank you for the follow-up. If the consultant did not cause the legal injury, then there is no need for that person to be a named party to the lawsuit. As a matter of fact, such a person would be quickly dismissed from the lawsuit and the plaintiff could be sanctioned for wrongfully naming the party.

The consultant may be a WITNESS to some of the alleged misdeeds and the consultant/witness can be forced to testify at any future trial. However, witnesses do not have to be named parties to the lawsuit.

I hope this helps to clarify things!

~~ J.B.