Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Last night I was given a United States District Court Violation

Last night I was given a United States District Court Violation Notice for Simple Possession of marijuana in the Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest near Darrington, WA. I was with a friend but I was the only one to get a violation. The Officer said I do not need to go to court, all I have to do is pay the $100 Forfeiture Amount and $25 Processing Fee. Since marijuana had been legalized recently in WA State, I wasn't thinking about the fact I was on National property. My mistake, I am just trying to understand how this is going to affect my record and potential future employment. Here are my questions:

1. Will this go on my record, or is this just a $125 ticket?
2. Is it possible to remove/expunge this from my record, perhaps if procedure wasn't correctly followed? For example, the officer wrote "Several" on the line meant for the Defendant Signature. Seems like I was supposed to sign that, but no idea if this matters.
3. How public is this information? Will a future employer be able to find out about this violation?

Thank you

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

JD 1992 :

Both. If you pay it then it is an admission of guilt and goes on your record. All tickets are on your record.

JD 1992 :

2. Is it possible to remove/expunge this from my record, perhaps if procedure wasn't correctly followed?

JD 1992 :

You can't get it expunged if you plead guilty however, you can try and get it quashed or dismissed but you will need to get a lawyer to look it over and help you with it.

JD 1992 :

JD 1992 :

It is public record and there is at least a chance the employer can find out, it depends on how thorough their background checks are.

JD 1992 :

If you hire a lawyer they may be able to get the judge to do a pretrial diversion or some other method where it doesn't count as a conviction.

JD 1992 :

That depends on the judge, the lawyer, etc.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for this information

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. There's a good chance you can avoid the conviction since there is a conflict in laws and it's a pretty minor offense.