TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

will a woman raising children that is not her own lose social

will a woman raising children that is not her own lose social security benifits if she gets married?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

What kind of social security benefits are you referring to? E.g., SSI, SSDI, retirement, widows benefits?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know that the benifit check is for he children because they have special needs. The children are her niece and nephew that she is raising so they wouldnt go into foster care

Hi again.

No, the marriage should not affect the SS benefits. A marriage would only affect benefits if income is a factor, or if the marriage itself is a factor in determining benefits. For example, if she were getting SSI income, then the marriage could affect her benefits because she qualifies for SSI based upon her income. After a marriage, the husband's income would be a factor in determining whether she qualifies, and for how much. However, neither income nor the marriage is a factor in qualifying for SS benefits for special needs children. Accordingly, her benefits should not be affected.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!