Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

hi, I am currently living & working in the UAE for more than

Customer Question

hi, I am currently living & working in the UAE for more than a decade. now i have a threat in my job and might have to leave the country and go back to india. I have personal loan debt (approx $35000) based on my salary certificate. if I loose my job my end of service settlement will cover 60% of the debt which will be attached by the bank. If i have fled to india leaving the debt behind, what are the consequences i will have to face, whether i the debt collectors can take any action against in India for the debt with UAE banks. can the debt collectors go for any legal proceedings against me in India. pleas advise. thanks, nish
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you leave UAE and the debt is not paid off, the only thing they can do as you are not in the UAE is 1) issue an arrest warrant for you in the UAE (meaning if you return to the UAE you could be arrested as they arrest for debts there) and 2) they can hire an attorney in India to actually sue you in India to collect upon the debt from you in India. Generally, the banks will take the latter of the two actions, decide to sue you in India to collect on the debt.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, but I really have no idea what more information you want unless you ask.

You were provided the information that was based on the short question with sparse facts you provided. You owe a debt you are liable to repay. The UAE does pursue criminal charges and jail people for debts, it is one of the few countries that still does so. If you want to skip out on your responsibility to pay your debts, the information provided is based on the question you asked, what can happen, we told you that and you cannot blame us for your facts or situation or the law, as we have nothing to do with any of those.

If you would like additional information, please ask and we are more than happy to work with you to answer your follow up questions or provide you any additional information you need based on any additional facts you may want to provide, but please we ask you not to blame us for just providing information based on what you asked and based on the facts you have brought up and the information you provided us.