Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I did a shortsale in 2009 and had a first and second mortgage.

I did a shortsale in 2009 and had a first and second mortgage. Both mortgage companies agreed to the shortsale and agreed on payment. Now I see on my credit report there is a charge off from the second mortgage company and a balance. The date reported is May 2012. Is there a way I can get this off my credit report? This took affect in 2009 not 2012. Please reply.
Thanks Della

Thelawman2 :

The only way that you could get this removed from your credit history is if the second mortgage company agreed to take it off your record. It is within their discretion, and if they decide not to, then there is really nothing else that can be done. The short sale will stay on your credit report for 7 years if the lender does not agree to take it off your credit report

So even though the date was reported in 2009 they can change it anytime they feel like it?