JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

What are the federal harassment laws (not employment-related

What are the federal harassment laws (not employment-related and not related to minors)?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

"Harassment" can be a generic term but not necessarily have any legal implications. Thus, in order to help answer your question, can you please clarify:

1. What type of harassment are you referring to?

2. Who is doing the harassment?

3. What is the motivation for the harasser's action(s)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Harassment by mail and phone call

2. A former spouse

3. Psychological harassment

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does the former spouse live in the same state or are the phone calls/mail crossing state lines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They cross state lines.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Are there any court (no contact) orders in place that prohibit such contact by the former spouse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No there are not.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do the calls/letters threaten any physical harm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, they don't.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What makes them "harassing" as you use that term?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are curses and hexes.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
47 USC § 223(a)(1)(E) says that whoever "makes repeated telephone calls or repeatedly initiates communication with a telecommunications device, during which conversation or communication ensues, solely to harass any specific person;" shall be fined in accordance with title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

As for harassing mail, you can report that to the Postmaster General for investigation. Send a letter and a copy of the offense mailing, by registered, certified mail to:

United States Postal Service
Postmaster General
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN
E-mail:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There probably isn't anything that can be done if the mail is sent anonymously and doesn't contain identifying information, correct?

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow-up and I am very sorry for the delay in my reply. The website had a technical error which had locked me out of your thread. I did notify the engineers.

If there are finger-prints on the letter, then matter could be investigated that way.

If finger-prints cannot be lifted from the letter, then your understanding is correct.

I hope this helps to clarify things.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.