JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Can I be sued for posting opinion about a magazine on Face

Can I be sued for posting opinion about a magazine on Facebook?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

In order to answer your question, it would be helpful to know: would your posted clear say that this is "my opinion"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my first post copied:

Maybe the name of the magazine should change? Total? You mean show is the same as total??? Hmmm... Interesting. Seems this magazine advertises the same as most breeders. "Show and work"... Ugh. Where is the work?!?!? Total? Really?

It is referring to the name of the magazine "Total Rottweiler Magazine" and the entire cover is an advertisement. There are more replies to my original post where it is said "my opinion" by me and by others replying to the post.

Thank you so much.

From the facts that you've described, the post is not defamatory and there is no winning basis for any suit. What you've described is protected free speech.

If someone had been wrongfully accused of a crime, that would be a different story.

However, just expressing a personal opinion -- in the manner you've described -- even when it's a negative opinion, is not a basis for a winning lawsuit.

What you've described is no different than a negative review of a restaurant or movie, or book which is regularly published in traditional media. Perfectly fine and cannot be sued over.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.