Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Current active duty member involved in an accident out here

Current active duty member involved in an accident out here in Bahrain. Cause of motorcycle accident is unknown. I'm trying to file a lawsuit against Ducati Corporate or Ducati of Doha
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In order to have a product liability action, before you can file suit you have to first determine that the bike malfunctioned and was based on defective manufacture or defective design. You state the cause of the accident is unknown, this means you have insufficient evidence to file suit against the manufacturer yet. You must have the bike examined by an expert to determine what caused the accident and if it was some defect in the bike's design or manufacture and only once you have that evidence can you file suit against the manufacturer to hold them strictly liable.

Accidents occur on vehicles all of the time, this does not automatically make the manufacturer liable. In order to hold the manufacturer liable you must have actual evidence that there was something wrong with the bike based on manufacture or design that caused the accident in order to hold them liable. Even if a bike part failed, such as a tire blew out or maybe the steering did not function, you still have to prove it was a defect and not just ordinary wear and tear for the manufacturer to have any liability for the accident.

Thus, to start investigating whether or not there is basis for a suit, you need to get an expert to examine the bike and the accident report to determine the cause of the accident.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”