Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Hi, I live in PA and Im going to have a interlock license

Hi, I live in PA and I'm going to have a interlock license as of may 20th of this year, and I'm going to Florida for vacation in June. Will I be able to rent a car for the week I will be down there if there is no device installed on the car?

While Pennsylvania law requires the driver to have a license indicating that an interlock device is necessary, Florida has no such law. In Florida, a person convicted of certain DUI offenses must obtain an interlock device on any vehicles that he owns or regularly drives but there is no designation on his license. In short, a rental car would typically not need an interlock device pursuant to Florida law. Meaning, Florida law would not prevent you from renting or driving a car.

.

While Florida has no way to enforce this law, you might consider checking with the rental car company. The rental car company takes on certain liability when it rents out a car. Each company will have different policies and procedures to protect itself, some certainly might not rent to someone that has an interlock requirement. The only way to check this would be to contact each rental car company in Florida that you might rent from and check on their individual policies.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That answer is helpful, but I have just one more question. Let's say I'm able to rent a car while I'm down in FL, and I were to be pulled over for any reason and the officer sees my license states that its the interlock license, what can they do from there?

There is not much Florida can do. As I stated above, Florida law has no requirement that the license indicate the necessity of an interlock device. Further, Florida law does not require that any vehicle driven by the convicted person must have an interlock device. Instead, Florida merely requires that a vehicle owned or regularly driven by the convicted person must have an interlock device. Because Florida does not have the same law, they have no mechanism in place to enforce said law. So, Florida has no ability to write a citation or do anything else.

.
.
.
.