Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Federal Court. A Defendant will accept Civil Liability for

Customer Question

Federal Court. A Defendant will accept Civil Liability for Negligence and assumes the other defendants are bound to injunctions against further Copyright Infringement, which I will add into a Stip. Final Judgment - because they were directly involved in all causes of action. Can I file a Motion to Approve Stip. Final Judgment against Defendant, without conferring with all parties, and just dismiss the other defendants if the Defendant and I are the ones settling?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

No, you can't do this as described. If the final judgment adjudicates rights, interests or issues related to all parties, then all parties would be required to approve and sign off on the stipulated final judgment. In other words, a stipulated judgment will only bind those who actually stipulate to it by signing off.

You could, however, enter into a stipulated judgment with one particular party and then dismiss the others - - if you were to do that, you would not need to get permission from the other parties.