Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Hi..Im not a bad person but failed to reply to a jury duty

Hi..I'm not a bad person but failed to reply to a jury duty summons..5 months went by and I received a card today in the mail failure to respond to jury summons. I live in Beverly Hills, Ca and they wanted me to go to Inglewood, Ca. It's rather far and I don't drive.
Can they seriously fine/or jail me if I don't answer this warning card I just received?
I'm nervous now!
Thank you
David Wall

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

The card you have says they want you to now serve in that county?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the card just says to call

I apologize for the delay in this answer. But I had it all type out and there was an inadvertent OPT OUT on your end. Thank you for your patience.

The answer is I suggest you do not want to ignore this notice. Yes, they can and will fine you up to $1500 for your failing to appear for your jury service. However, this notice should be a chance for you to tell the clerk why you did not appear or adhere to the court's request that you be a juror.

If they want to have you sit then I suggest you will need to do that. Generally, the only reason that is considered Good Cause to not perform this civil duty is a financial hardship or health reasons

So I suggest you call the clerk and talk to them and find out what you need to do so that you are not fined.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.