Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Hello. I am planning on putting my boyfriend on my health insurance

Customer Question

Hello. I am planning on putting my boyfriend on my health insurance as a domestic partner (which my insurance allows!). I am wondering about the legal ramifications of such an arrangement, and also the tax liability and debt liability. We live in Montana, which as far as I can tell does not have a domestic partner registry. He has significant past due medical bills and will be going bankrupt soon. Will I be held responsible for his debt? My insurance is out of Illinois, and they are asking for a certificate of domestic partner registry. Like I said, I don't think Montana has that, but I really need to know if our/my status will change as far as taxes and debt accountability go. Thanks!
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - You are not responsible for any of his debts unless you sign for the debt. Just adding him to your insurance does not create any personal liability for you with respect to any of his medical bills and your marital status is not going to change since you are still not married. Since MT does not recognize legal domestic partnerships then I'm not certain that you will be able to add him to your insurance in any event. Obviously if there were legal domestic partnerships allowed your status would change if you entered into one of these partnerships. These partnerships are generally for the benefit of same sex couples and do not replace marriage for heterosexual couples.