Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

What is a GPS bracelet used for and the conditions to wearing

What is a GPS bracelet used for and the conditions to wearing it ?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

A GPS bracelet is technological 'bracelet' that is fitted around a wearer's leg. It is used to monitor the wearer's location.

It is normally used:

1) In restraining orders (seldom); and
2) In criminal matters (more often).

Assuming that this is a criminal matter, the Defendant can more successfully achieve bail and be allowed to be free pending trial if they agree to electronic bracelet monitoring. Essentially, this is meant that they do not flee jurisdiction. If they do leave jurisdiction, the bracelet alerts the police that then may re-arrest the Defendant.

The conditions for wearing one is that they do not leave jurisdiction and appear at every court hearing. The conditions may also include keeping away from certain areas. The Court has the ultimate discretion when it comes to the conditions of an electronic bracelet monitoring.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)