Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just realized that a card I never used had a 10.00 charge

I just realized that a card I never used had a 10.00 charge on it back in 12/2012. I contacted the bank and setup a payment. The rep reversed all the fees indicated the following:

"We report to the credit bureaus regularly. We report every 30 days of delinquency. However, we are not allowed to comment on how many times you are reported. You will actually have to speak with a Credit Advisor directly as we do not know their reporting methods."

"I can also update the credit bureau. It may take 60­/90 days for this information to be updated. "

"The reporting that did took place was updated and you will no longer be reported since the account is now current."

After further dialog, I was under the impression that this would update the past entries of delinquency.

My question - is that possible? I've never missed a payment in my life, and it kills me that a 10.00 charge went unnoticed and could cause havoc on my bureau! Do I have any options if I'm misunderstanding what they are telling me?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to say that the creditor cannot legally remove a report to a credit bureau unless it was made in error and was actually incorrect when it was made. They cannot change the previous reports, they will send a new entry that the account is now current and paid off, which is all they can legally report to the credit bureau. They will send in a new report that the delinquency has been cured by paying the account current and that the account is in good standing.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”