Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Im from Thailand who married US citizen and i became a us

I'm from Thailand who married US citizen and i became a us citizen. My husband told me to send money to my parents to build the house in Thailand where is my parents property where they plan to give as inherited me in 2005-2007. Now i'm in devoicing process with my husband. The house in Thailand is my mother's name and property. I have no asset in to it. Our divorce will be tried on April 29.
He is realizes that he might not get credit for the house in Thailand. So he is suing me and my parents over the fraud over the house in Thailand. I would like to tell you that. He has no contract or anything with my parents and at the time he gave me money because of he loved me. But now he wants to take everything from me.
Can he sue me and my parents in Thailand. ? I just received the summon today.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. Do your parents live in Thailand?

Customer:

yes

Brandon M. :

You said that you received the summons today. Is the summons for a Thai court, or an American court?

Customer:

US suprem court.

Brandon M. :

What is his theory for recovery? In other words, why does he say your parents owe him money?

Customer:

I took him to court for the divorce and our tried will be on April 29 , this money. During 3 days my lawyer and his lawyer tried to settlement the case. But my lawyer told me that per evident my husband won't get credit for the house in Thailand because the house not event in my name. During married he never question anything about the property and my parents plan to give me after they die. But unfortunately that we are getting divorce. So that plan not gonna happen. My husband feel want money back and possible he may loose on the April 29 ( per my lawyer.) So today is friday, his lawyer sent me the summon at 7pm. When i could not contract my lawyer. I'm not sure that he tries to scare me to settle in the tried on monday or not? And is it possible that he can sue my parents?

Customer:

correction this Monday ,

Brandon M. :

I may not have been clear. I understand that your husband believes that he should get credit for the house in Thailand, but that is between you and him. What I am trying to understand is why he believes your parents owe him the money instead of you. It should say on the summons... for what legal reason does he believe your parents should pay?

Customer:

He believes that we are fraud.

Customer:

But the divorce is not done yet. It is between me and him.

Customer:

That s why is so confused.

Customer:

He sues me and my parents.

Brandon M. :

I should be clear that because the nuances of every case are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without meeting with counsel in person. But that said, it is possible to sue someone outside of the country for fraud, but only if the alleged fraud occurred in the state where the suit is brought or if the defendant has sufficient minimal contact with the state. So, for example, if someone from Thailand came to New York and committed fraud, they could be sued for fraud in New York. However, if the person being sued has no contact with New York and did not commit the alleged fraud in New York, they could not be sued in New York.

Brandon M. :

So it would be a question of where the fraud allegedly occurred. If the fraud allegedly occurred in New York, it is possible to sue in New York.

Customer:

There is no fraud. only things is he is crazy. He needs i pay money back for the house in Thailand. But my lawyer said no. regarding he can not force me to pay something is not my asset. So he goes to the second option to screw me.

Customer:

No fraud in New York.

Brandon M. :

If an alleged fraud did not occur in New York, and if the defendant does not reside in New York, a lawsuit may not proceed against the defendant.

Customer:

How come suprem court sent me the summon ?

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Brandon M. :

The Supreme Court does not know where the parties live. You or your parents need to speak with an attorney in New York about having the case against them dismissed.

Customer:

ok thank you . i appreciated you answered. at least i can get some sleep tonight.

Brandon M. :

It was my pleasure. I wish you the best in your case. You are almost through the hard part. It will get easier for you soon.

Brandon M. :

Take care.

Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.