Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  13 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs

my husband and i have alot of debts. he hasnt made an effort

my husband and i have alot of debts. he hasn't made an effort to help pay.i've done loan consolidations. is he responible to reinburse me half the money i've paid.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Are you still living together?
.
Or are you separating or divorcing?
.
.
Thanks
.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no we are not living together. not separated or divorced

Ok, if you are both on joint debts and he is not contributing to paying them down, you would have to file suit against him for breach of contract for not contribution. Presumably when the debts were entered into, you both agreed to share the responsibility for paying them off. Since he has failed to do so, he is in breach of the oral agreement that you would have had with him and could sue to force his contribution.

However, if you were to legally separate or divorce, then during the marital property settlement process, you could demonstrate to the court how much you had paid to reduce marital debts. The court could then take that into consideration when determining how to divide the marital assets. If you have contributed more towards paying debts, then typically you would receive more marital assets in any division.
.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

if i had a house before we got married. my son put the down payment on the house. is he entitle to any portion of the house

.
If the deed is in your name and you never added your spouse to the deed, then it would be considered your separate property and not subject to division in a separation or divorce.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 13 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i have two other houses, i purchased them while we were married. my name is XXXXX XXXXX title only

Unfortunately, any assets acquired during the marriage except by gift or inheritance are considered marital assets and are subject to division in a divorce.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

if i'm suppose to divide the two properties with him, but work has to be done and i have to pay to get it done. how do i get compensated? do i save receipt and bills.

but work has to be done and i have to pay to get it done. how do i get compensated? do i save receipt and bills.
.
Yes, you would be entitled to deduct half of the cost of any repairs on the houses from his portion of any proceeds. So if it cost you $500 for a water heater, he would have $250 deducted from his portion of any proceeds.
.
.
Thanks