How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tina Your Own Question

Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33149
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend is moving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania this year.

Resolved Question:

A friend is moving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania this year. I was told by a rep at his health insurance company that he would have to get new insurance because the New Jersey health insurance coverage is different than the PA coverage. It's very important that we know before he moves because he was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimers. Can someone get us a definitive answer on this?
Hi insurance is with United Health Care (New Jersey)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your friend's difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:Is your friend insured through the state of NJ's high risk insurance program or some other government-sponsored plan or does this involve a private policy? It is not through an employer?I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi insurance is through his former employer and it is a regular policy. Not a high risk or government policy.


His former employer wanted to spare him having to pay a high premium to a Cobra plan and offered to extend his participation in his group plan as long as my frind pays the premium.

Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
I see. Thank you very much for that additional information, Gloria.Since it is an employer-sponsored plan, it would typically be necessary to review the terms of the plan. It, like other private plans, can be limited to coverage in a single state. There are national private plans as well, so it is impossible for me to say with any certainty as to which type of plan your friend has.What I can say, is that if your friend determines that the policy only covers in-state services, then he will need to obtain a new policy in PA. His plan administrator or customer service should be able to answer this question for him.I am looking now for plans available in PA that your friend may apply for and will post it here once I obtain that information for you.
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.

Hello again, Gloria.Unfortunately, PA has suspended applications for its federally-sponsored high risk health insurance program, so your friend could not gain coverage through the state I'm afraid. Since he does have a pre-existing condition, I would expect him to be denied coverage for other plans unfortunately, unless he qualifies for Medicaid once he is a resident of the state.Therefore, if his employer-sponsored plan is not a national plan, he should not move to PA if at all possible, or continue to maintain residency in NJ.Here is a link to the PA high risk plan, which indicates enrollment has been suspended: hope this helps clarify the situation for you and your friend. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!Tina

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tina
Thanks for the suggestion to review the actual plan the company offers to
get a clearer answer. I failed to mention that my friend will qualify for
Medicare in March of 2014. How will this effect his coverage?
He needs to move to Philadelphia because his Alzheimers will cuse him to
need the help of famui;y (who are in Philadelphia.
Any further suggestions you may offer will be appreciated.

Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Gloria.

You are very welcome. He may not need the full coverage through the former employer once he qualifies for Medicare coverage. Instead, he would typically look for a supplemental insurance plan for coverage. Such policies do not usually prevent an individual from obtaining coverage due to pre-existing conditions, although it may be quite expensive.

With Medicare coverage, many of your friends expenses will be covered, so he could use what he is paying on the policy now to purchase a supplemental policy.

Here is a link which provides information on obtaining supplemental policies in PA:
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33149
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Gloria,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.