Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My wife and I relocated to Chicago from Pflugerville, Texas

Customer Question

My wife and I relocated to Chicago from Pflugerville, Texas almost 2 years ago. We sold our home that had a security system with monthly monitoring. We contacted the security company and notified them we had sold our home due to the relocation to Chicago due to my wifes promotion with work. They will not let us out of our monitoring agreement even though we do not own the home any longer. Is this legal? How do we resolve this issue? We are renting in the Chicago area and may be relocating again soon.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that people use written contracts to bind people to agreements they enter into. Thus, you need to read your monitoring contract and see what it states about a termination clause. I am afraid you are going to be bound by the terms in that contract and if there is no termination clause, then even though you sold the home you are bound to that contract. Many national alarm companies have programs that will allow you to transfer your alarm contract to a new home, but that is going to be something that is included in your contract.

As written contracts are held to be binding and enforceable by the courts, you resolve the issue by first reading your contract and reviewing the termination clauses and you would have to follow those terms. It is legal if there are no termination clauses or a termination penalty and the company insists you honor the contract I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”