Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

In Massachusetts what is the best protection policy for insuring

Customer Question

In Massachusetts what is the best protection policy for insuring a 16 year old new driver should they own/drive only their car? or parent's car? does it matter?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. The insurance companies insure the cars and those who drive them. If your new driver has an inexpensive car and you have an expensive car, it will help you a bit by having the 16-year old drive only that inexpensive car because you don't really need to cover the car itself unless you have financed it. Even if you do insure the car, because it's limited value, the cost of insuring it will be less because the upper end risk for the insurance company is the value not the cost to repair. That will save you some insurance money. If you have an expensive car, you don't want him driving him because the cost of insuring that car will increase. But, overall, the big insurance cost is liability for others. And, simply having a 16-year old driver on your insurance will increase your insurance due to that risk.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please address liabiltiy issue. We want to know if 16 year old owning and driving only their own car in their name will provide adult parents with protection from being sued if 16year old is in an accident. Which we all know is a high probability due to inexperience in 1st year of driving. So we are looking for best advice to protect parents and limit their liability.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for replying. You will want your insurance limits to be raised and to purchase an umbrella policy for excess coverage. If your 16 year old gets in an accident, you won't be automatically liable as a parent, but you can bet you will be included in the suit if there is no insurance coverage. So, you will want to make sure your insurance coverage is adequate. The issue will be whether there was "negligent entrustment" to your minor child. Being a new driver will lend some weight to that and if the minor child gets any tickets or even a minor accident prior to the major accident, then continue to allow him to drive would be considered negligent entrustment. But, even defending this will be expensive so the umbrella policy, which costs very little, is the best protection for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very Helpful information. Please address whether the car/policy being in the 16 year old name only or if car is owned by parent and 16 year old is just added to this policy which offers best liability protection for parents? or does it not matter? This is the specific question that we are trying to solve. The info on umbrella policy addition is helpful to know. :)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding. It doesn't matter liability wise as long as the child is a minor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! That is specifically what we were needing answered. Our Ma insurance agent is pushing us to have everything in our 16 year olds name only with her own policy telling us it will decrease our liablilty. This however appears untrue.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome...it's my pleasure to help! Have a great weekend!
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!