Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

will a 4th degree felony conviction for breaking and entering

will a 4th degree felony conviction for breaking and entering from new mexico 18 years ago come up in nevada now I want to get a fire alarm certification and I was told if you have a felony you can't get certified
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that a felony record remains with you for life, it does not go away. So your 18 year old felony will show up on your record when they check in Nevada or any other state I am afraid.

Felony convictions are not able to be expunged under NM law. See: New Mexico Statute 29-3-8.1A. Thus, you have to file a petition for a pardon through the governor's office of pardons and parole. If you are able to obtain a pardon, then you would be able to get the charge expunged from your record. I am afraid this is the only way.

Nevada law is very strict, it states if you have been convicted of any type of felony you are not eligible for certification, so you have to apply for a pardon through the NM governor.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”