Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Good evening. Im interesting in following aspect. There is

Good evening. I'm interesting in following aspect. There is a lot of noise around if and whether I can participate in a foreign lottery. Here my question. If I'm on vacation in let say Malta and I buy a lottery ticket there is there anything the US government can do about it ? Furthermore, if I go ahead while residing in the US and use a service provider located in the country where the lottery is played to purchase for me a lottery ticket and hold that ticket in trust for me until it is clear if I have won - can I do that ? (see also companies like http://www.congalotto.com/ or http://www.thelotter.com/. Would be interesting to get your opinion on this. Thx Juergen

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

It is no illegal to buy or to win in a lottery. There is no US law which would prohibit this.

In fact, buying lottery tickets is legal in all of the 50 States,

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service",

Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could you expand a bit on your answer - in terms of the 50 states - am I right when you say in all 50 states it is allowed to buy lottery tickets your are reference to my questions in terms of buy lottery tickets on a foreign lottery while residing in the US ?

Please explain why you think it is illegal, so that I can better Answer your question,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Found some information like this - see the bold highlighted

This site provides information on lotteries from around the world with facilities to play many of them online from almost anywhere in the world . You can play some on the official lottery sites but you usually have to be resident in that country. Others can be played via organised syndicates or lottery clubs and others using legitimate companies who will purchase your lottery tickets for you in a secure and confidential manner. You should check your local laws before purchasing tickets from ticket agents as some countries do not permit purchase of foreign lottery tickets - the US being the main one. it is however legal to join a syndicate or lottery club from the US so take a look at the syndicates page for details of how to do this. Europe and most of the rest of the world is however more relaxed about this.

I apologize if I may have misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if it was illegal under any circumstances for a US resident to buy a foreign lottery ticket,

The only restriction on buying foreign lottery tickets is that a United States resident cannot do so by telephone or through the mail. There is no restriction on buying a foreign lottery ticket if they buy it through a foreign lottery company. That is where the loophole is because they claim that the foreing lottery company is buying the lottery ticket for them.

In addition, any US resident may buy a foreign lottery ticket if they are outside the United States because the Federal government cannot restrict or prohibit a US resident from buying a lottery if they are outside the United States.

ANDREA