Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I got a 13,000 dollar settlement for a for my lawsuit the lawyer

I got a 13,000 dollar settlement for a for my lawsuit the lawyer said they will get 7000 dollars and I will get 5000 I agreed as long as I get 5000 dollars so I signed the papers to settle about 2 months go by and I finely got a check and it was for 3074.14. almost 2000 dollars less than I agreed to so they almost got 2\3 of the settlement is there any action I can take to make them give me more?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
In a situation like this, if the attorney has breached the agreement that you had with them, you have a couple options. One option is to file suit against the attorney in small claims court for breach of contract and sue for damages. You don't need an attorney in small claims court and the clerk will have the summons and complaint forms you need to file. You are also able to recover your court costs in addition to your proven damages.
.
The other option is to contact the FL Bar Association and file a formal complaint against the attorney for excessive fees. They can investigate the attorney's actions and can make a determination as to whether the attorney acted improperly in retaining such a large percentage of the settlement. If they determine that the attorney has acted improperly, then they can impose sanctions including forcing him to repay you the additional money you are entitled to as well as taking disciplinary action against him.
.
As an aside, the attorney got almost 76% of the settlement...
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for some reason I don't understand is how come I could not get answer to come up on my computer until now so it something that makes me wonder was I on you're urgent list or reg because it would not be 54 dollars it would be less. in short. I think a paid for urgent and I got reg service look forward to you're answer

Sorry for the delay. JA is having some problems that are making it have outages from time to time. I will repost my answer and hopefully it will go through this time..
.
.
.
.
.
Thanks