Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If you are subpoenaed by a letter in the mail in the state

Customer Question

If you are subpoenaed by a letter in the mail in the state of kansas and you dont show up what happens
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward working with you to provide you information you are seeking.

If you are living in KS did you receive this in regular mail or priority mail or certified mail or registered mail?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe it is priority mail. I never had to sign anything

Thank you for your response.

Under KS Law, service by priority, certified, registered or some other controlled personal delivery is acceptable valid service.
You are supposed to honor the subpoena and show up in court, or face penalties for contempt of court. K.S.A 60-303 states: Service by Return Receipt Delivery. (1) shall include service by certified mail, priority mail, commercial courier service, overnight delivery service, or other reliable personal delivery service to the party addressed...

If you did not sign anything, as long as they had a priority delivery confirmation, that is all that they need. So you would have to show up if it was one of the above types of delivery.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”