Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Customer Question

I have been living out of the country for a number of years and I continued to own my home in Annapolis, purchased in 1981, where I often return during the year. My bank accounts have remained the same for over 60 years even though the names of the Bank have changed. I wish now to re- establish my residency in Maryland. Is there a simple way to go about doing this?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To establish residency, you essentially just need to return to Maryland and begin to live there. Since you already have a home there, that's the first step. Other things you can do to help show residency include obtaining a Maryland Driver's License (or State ID card, if you do not drive), registering your car there, if you have one, registering to vote in Maryland, establishing utility service in your name, if you haven't, and things like that. Those are all ways of exhibiting that you intend to live and remain in Maryland indefinitely, which is the test for showing that you're a resident.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.