Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Customer Question

i had my husband arrest he was drunk and he trashed our house he did come at me but more in a push away motion, when i called the police they informed me i could have him arrested and that he would be put in jail for the night and that i could put a restriction on him that he could see the kids and me as long as he was not drunk and that what he would be charged with a charge that was no worse then a speeding ticket. Now they are telling him that he is charged with harassment and that if he contacts our kids or me that he would be placed in jail for a year until his second court date, I already told his court appointed lawyer if he agrees to AA that i would drop the charges, now i got a letter in the mail saying the people vs him and i don't know what that means can you help me
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Is there a specific question I could assist you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do to stop the charges

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
You can tell them you don't want to pursue the charges but they can still proceed with them anyway. Once a criminal charge is filed it is entirely up to the District Attorney as to what happens with the case, whether it is pursued or dropped. Most people believe they can "drop charges" but it doesn't work that way, the decision on whether or not to pursue the case belongs to the District Attorney.