Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a respiratory therapist in California, and applying for

I am a respiratory therapist in California, and applying for a state license in Polysomnology. they did a background check and are e-mailing me re. a supposed conviction on record in Oakland, Ca, dated 4/27/1993, but won't tell me what the conviction is, or what court it is. I don't know what this is, and don't know how to find the records. The issue is that I didn't disclose this, but I have no idea what this is. What is the best way to find these records with only the date, city, and case number. Is it best to hire go through a search service, paralegal,? Thanks
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You can go online at http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/OPD/DOWD002845 and make a public records request to obtain any police reports or arrest records. The other way to do this is you can go to the clerk of court's office at the court where the case was supposed to be sent and check the court records which are also open to the public. These two ways are generally the best and most accurate way to check your record to find out what this charge is all about.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you sooo much for your prompt answer. I have done as you indicated, and was able to find the form and submit on-line. Someone suggested that I go on-line to a pay site., but no way to verify their credibility; then I remembered JustAnswer, which I have used a lot, and decided to contact you. It is definitely worth it to pay for reliable services, and JustAnswer is just the place. Thanks again for the advice.

Thank you for your kind words.

The online background check services many times are not very accurate and it is much better to go direct to the police department and the local court.

Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way the experts get credit for working with customers.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I keep getting e-mails to rate you. I have done that at least 4 times, and I still get e-mails. also, the funds are in my account, but I got an e-mail that they werent. Don't know what else to do.

Thank you for letting me know. It seems that no rating for this question has gone through. I will let customer service know. Thank you again.