WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I have a medical bill from a surgeon. I have tried to work

I have a medical bill from a surgeon. I have tried to work out a payment plan with his billig office. I have written two letters directly to the doctor about my ability to pay the debt. They will accept my payment but they are charging me $20-$23 a month in fees. I am able to pay $25 a month now towards what was originally a $1440.00 bill. I have paid $75 and the balance is $1478. The last letter I send the doctor I stated that if he could not work with me on this repayment, then I would send no money. I just received an invoice with another month's fees added. If I choose to pay him nothing more, what can happen to me. Collections? Attached wages? Need some advice, please.
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is a common situation, if you fail to pay, the usual coarse is to have a debt collector try to settle the matter with you

WALLSTREETLAW :
WALLSTREETLAW :

if they do not offer such a deal or payment plan, they would sue you for the amount, and obtain a judgment,

WALLSTREETLAW :

if they obtain a judgment, then they could try to garnish your paycheck, or freeze your bank account,

WALLSTREETLAW :
Customer:

I wish I had 50% available. I am 64 years old, divorced and on my own. I work full time, have gotten rid of all my credit cards and am living on what I make. This would not be a big issue except that I had colon cancer last summer and my out of pocket on my health insurance was $5000. All the other practitioners are working with me to get their fees paid. I just don't see how this surgeon expects me to keep ahead of my account. I have explained to him in my letters and to his billing office on the phone that I will send more than $25 a month when I get some of these other bills taken care of. It's the $20-$23 a month fees that are annoying me. He's already been paid some by BCBS. This method of billing is really taking advantage of me and others like me. Any suggestions? Let it go to collections? I am afraid they will wait until the amount on the bill is twice what I originally owed. So unfair.

WALLSTREETLAW :

The 20-23 a month penalty fee is very high,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and you are correct if this does go to collections they may add on the fees as well to the amount.

WALLSTREETLAW :

What you can do is threaten a complaint with the Attorney Generals office regarding these fees, by sending him a letter.

WALLSTREETLAW :

or threaten a bankruptcy filing,

Customer:

I really feel frustrated. I have spoken with the doctor's billing office after I wrote the first letter which the doctor brought to his billing rep. She was not very cooperative or understanding. Her words " we are not a finance company."

WALLSTREETLAW :

If you cannot or do not want to pay consider stop making payment,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and see what they do, if it goes to collection or they sue you.

WALLSTREETLAW :

in Court work out a settlement

WALLSTREETLAW :

atleast that will give you some time.

Customer:

Hmm. I really hate being in this position

Customer:

I have worked really hard these past several years to get my credit score up to 690. It makes me sick to think this could ruin all my sacrifice.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Do you have income from a job or are you on social security?

Customer:

I work full time as an insurance agent. Next year I will be able to collect social security monthly as the income limit for my first year (eligible at age 66) is $40,000 plus. I earn about $36,000 now even though I took partial SS at 62 I get virtually no payments due to my income level.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If your only income is social security that cannot be attached by collections,

WALLSTREETLAW :

ok,

WALLSTREETLAW :

so if you want,

WALLSTREETLAW :

if you stop paying and your only income next year is social security, they cannot collect on it.

WALLSTREETLAW :

but they could try to garnish wages.

WALLSTREETLAW :

if you still are working next year.

Customer:

No, I plan to continue working full time next year in addtion to being able to receive SS payments. I could more than likely get it paid off after I get my first couple checks.

WALLSTREETLAW :

then I would consider either keep on paying until next year or stop paying,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and settle next year, when you have the income.

Customer:

I guess I could approach them with that option BUT it's those d.... fees that are bugging me.

WALLSTREETLAW :

yes,

Customer:

Would I get anywjhere now writing to the attorney general. Are we talking the state level attorney gen'l?

WALLSTREETLAW :
Customer:

Does the attorney gen'l have the ability to "suggest" something to them about the fees?

WALLSTREETLAW :

They may get involved, you can advise them this is borderline usury and they may send a letter to the office which may spur a better payment plan.

Customer:

please explain "borderline usury"

WALLSTREETLAW :

state's laws provide that you cannot lend money at an interest rate in excess of a certain statutory maximum. This is a "usury limit."

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

can I make a copy of our conversation

WALLSTREETLAW :

Yes, once you provide feedback, you would have complete access to the chat.

WALLSTREETLAW :

The link above has State Usury laws listed.

Customer:

I am thinking that I will continue to send the $25.00. Then in February 2014 when I get that first SS payment, I will again try to negotiate paying it off with my first check which should be $950 to $1000. What is really disconcerting is that the hospital has not even billed me the $2500.00 I owe them. They still show it pending for insurance

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is the system we live in, I think your option is the best,

Customer:

I understand however they are very helpful in working out payments

WALLSTREETLAW :

A hospital usually works out payment plans.

Customer:

Thank you for your time. I am not trying to avoid paying my bills. But I really resent paying more than I owe when there is just no extra in the budget. Of all people who I want to pay is the surgeon. He saved my life but "greed" annoys me to know end.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Yes,

WALLSTREETLAW :

good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Thank you

Customer:

I just hit a wrong key and lost everything

Customer:

I hope I can still copy your advice. It was very helpful. Thank you.

WALLSTREETLAW :

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:26 PM

3:26 PM

3:27 PM

3:27 PM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas entered this chat!

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:27 PM

3:28 PM

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

3:34 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:34 PM

3:35 PM

3:36 PM

3:36 PM

or threaten a bankruptcy filing,

3:37 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:38 PM

3:38 PM

3:38 PM

in Court work out a settlement

3:38 PM

atleast that will give you some time.

3:39 PM

3:39 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:39 PM

3:41 PM

3:41 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:42 PM

ok,

3:42 PM

so if you want,

3:42 PM

3:43 PM

but they could try to garnish wages.

3:43 PM

if you still are working next year.

3:43 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:44 PM

3:44 PM

3:44 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:44 PM

yes,

3:45 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:45 PM

3:46 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:47 PM

3:47 PM

please explain "borderline usury"

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:48 PM

3:48 PM

thanks

3:49 PM

can I make a copy of our conversation

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:49 PM

3:51 PM

3:51 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:52 PM

3:52 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:52 PM

3:54 PM

3:54 PM

<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas stepped out of this chat.

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:54 PM

Yes,

3:54 PM

3:54 PM

WALLSTREETLAW says:

3:54 PM

3:54 PM

Thank you

3:55 PM

WALLSTREETLAW :

good luck,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Once you provide feedback the answer will be given again, if not already.

Customer:

Again THANK YOU!!!

WALLSTREETLAW :

good luck.

WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience: 14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney