Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Dear Sir, I have received an IRS notice CP54G stating that

Dear Sir,

I have received an IRS notice CP54G stating that there is "Problem with Name and identifying number". the reason is that my SSN has y maiden name, whereas my i applied through my name after marriage since my PR is under my name after marriage.
So i will fill the form they sent to me and will attach a copy of marriage certification to docunent the name change.
My question is that: i m now out of the country, can i mail a copy of this form to them? or it should be the original that i have reecived by the envelope? the notice date is April 19,2013

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, you can most definitely send them a copy of the form. My only suggestion is to make sure that the signature on the form is still original. IRS receives such forms all the time, they will accept them but they want to make sure that the signature on the form is valid.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dimitry,

There is no signature,in the form i have filled. can i email it to you to check.

Should i mail it with the same envelope i have received the letter with.

Since again i m outside the country so i will go to any DHL service to send this mail.

Thank you for your follow-up.

No need to send me the form--on the bottom there should be a designation of the form number. Kindly provide it and I will find a copy of this form to ensure that a copy could be sent. I am 99.99% positive that it should be fine if your signature is not required, but I would be happy to check further, just in case.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again.

The form no is 54G.

in section two:

it is written: for tax purposes, i am requesting that the following name to be used for my 2012 return. I udnerstand that this is the name that will be used with my 2012 return.

Should i write as last name for this section : the last name that appears at my current SSN card (maiden ) ?

Thank you for your follow-up.

I believe that this is the form that you were referring to:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/CP-54G---Sample-Contents-Page-1

This form can be printed from your computer and mailed in. There is no requirement that the original form be sent in to the IRS, a copy is sufficient. The name that appears on your SSN card is what you need to put into the form.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for the form.

Please regarding the other point i have mentioned, can u open the form to advise me in section 2:

where it is written:

" for tax purposes, i am requesting that the following name to be used for my 2012 return. I udnerstand that this is the name that will be used with my 2012 return."

what should i write for the "Last name", since they inlcude a note that the " it is importnat to note the last name you provided must match and pass IRS validation processes"

what does it mean? should i write the last name as it appears on my SSN card (maiden name)?

Thank you for your follow-up.

My apologies if that section was missed. If there is a difference and the number does not match what is on your Social Security card, which is the case here, you would need to provide the correct number on the enclosed form. If the name is XXXXX XXXXX would need to enclose copies of the marriage certificate or court records clearly showing a legal name change. Please be aware that as I am not your attorney, I cannot tell you what to write or how to fill out this form, but I am trying to show you what options to pursue if your situation is described above. Typically showing the current legal name (that is, the name from your marriage) with the enclosed marriage certificate should be sufficient.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you again.

The number is XXXXX but the family name only is different. so in this case, i bet i would need to enclose copy of the marriage certificate clearly showing a legal name change.

that is?

Thank you for your follow-up.

That is a correct interpretation. All you would need is to prove the name change.

Good luck and please take care!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

You are most welcome, very glad to help!

If you found the information to be useful, please do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I may obtain credit for assisting you this evening. Thank you and please be well!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.