How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36586
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son has lived with his girlfriend for 7 years, They have

This answer was rated:

my son has lived with his girlfriend for 7 years, They have twin girls who are 4 years old. The girlfriend kicked himout on March 1,2013. She has met someone else. She has gone to DHS and gotten paperwork she is insisting he complete so says so they can avoid hiring attorneys. The paperwork is from child enforcement. Should he complete this? He has been paying child support weekly since they split up based on the xx child support chart and his weekly income. (weekly income varies based on amount of work they have each week-works as a plumbers assistant)

Hello and thank you for using Pearl. . If son is already paying the support amounts that would be statutorily due under xx state law, then essentially he would be agreeing to formalize his obligation. . With that said, I am always hesitant to suggest that a man agree to be legally obligated for child support until he has been formally determined to be the biological father through a DNA test ordered by the court. Stranger things have happened than the presumed father turning out not to actually be the father. . As for attorneys, if she were to file a paternity court action through DHS, there would be no cost to her. As part of the case, the judge would order a DNA test paid for by the state. So neither party would need to hire an attorney and son could find out definitively that he was the father. . It sounds to me as though mother is trying to get around having to actually take the necessary steps to file a formal paternity action. . . . Thanks. Barrister . . Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue. . I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions