Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If Ely is available, I would like him to answer as he is familiar

If Ely is available, I would like him to answer as he is familiar with the issue as hand. Otherwise, I would simply appreciate a fairly quick answer. This question is regarding Probate law in Colorado.

We are preparing for a hearing (5/21/13)in anticipation of a probate settlement. This is for the estate of our son who passed away more than 5 years ago, intestate - and a woman successfully claimed as common law wife. My husband was PR for almost 1 1/2 years untill the common law marriage verdict; he and I have been involved together through several legal controversies involving the "wife". The filings requesting an approval to settle probate were inaccurate.....there were several separate filings... and we are filing 4 Objections, due by 5/1/13.

1) With a Power of Attorney, will I be able to represent both my husband and myself.....with only me making an appearance at the Court (for a prehearing conference and then the Hearing)? 2) If the answer to that is "yes".....I have a question about the "Objection" documents we are preparing to send. 3) Should my husband and I both sign them, or should I declare that I represent myself and my husband.....and only I sign the Objection documents? 4)With the Objection documents, should we include a copy of the Power of Attorney, to "announce" our intention that only I will be making an appearance?
5) Related to the above questions, of what difference should we be aware between my representing my husband on the Objection documents AND in the Courtroom............vs.
representing my husband with an appearance in the Courtroom with regard to documents that have been signed by both of us?
Hello friend,

1) With a Power of Attorney, will I be able to represent both my husband and myself.....with only me making an appearance at the Court (for a prehearing conference and then the Hearing)?

I am sorry, but no. Every person must appear. You cannot represent someone else, only an attorney can. This is true even if they give you a POA.

2) If the answer to that is "yes".....I have a question about the "Objection" documents we are preparing to send.

The answer is no, I am afraid.

3) Should my husband and I both sign them, or should I declare that I represent myself and my husband.....and only I sign the Objection documents?

Since you cannot represent someone else, I am afraid that both of you must sign.

4)With the Objection documents, should we include a copy of the Power of Attorney, to "announce" our intention that only I will be making an appearance?

See above; as explained, this will not work.

Same - this cannot work.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups for free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.