How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26463
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Nassau County, NY. I recieve Jury summons letters

This answer was rated:

I live in Nassau County, NY. I recieve Jury summons letters in my married and maiden names even though my legal name is XXXXX XXXXX name and i changed it legally everywhere 13 years ago. In the past couple of years, I stopped answering any correspondence that goes to my maiden name. Now the court says that I must appear to pay a fine for ignoring three jury summons notices. The court appearance letter was in my maiden name.  Am I going to have to pay the fine? I forgot to mention that I am the primary caregiver to a child of 8 and at some point in the last three years I reported for jury duty when summoned under my married name and produced his birth certificate.

Hello Jacustomer,

You're going to have to appear and explain it, and I would think that you have a strong argument to avoid the fine. If you've been getting jury summonses in your married name, to which you have responded appropriately, then that would be evidence that you were not looking to evade your civic responsibility or to wilfully ignore a court order. You could argue that it was duplicative and was no longer your legal name besides.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it matter that I have no idea where the paper is that the jury representative signed when I did appear with my son's birth certificate? I am hopelessly disorganized. Am I allowed to request copies of all things the jury commission has sent to me in both names for the past few years?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you going to answer my clarification question?

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the delay, but I was working with another customer.

You can ask the court to take notice of the various summonses that they have sent in both names and the fact that you have been complying with the ones sent to your legal name for 13 years. They have access to that information, or they wouldn't be able to tell you that you missed three summonses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can i gain access to the information so that i am prepared to defend myself?


This isn't a trial. You'll simply be in a position to explain yourself as to why you shouldn't pay a fine for avoiding summonses. Just tell the judge that if you could have access to the various summonses they have sent you in both names over the last 13 years, they would see that you have responded to the ones in your legal name, and that they also should have a record of your having changed your name with them.

Just say that while you don't have all of that information any more, their records will reflect it. It's the best you can do.

Zoey, JD and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
While I'm thinking of it, you can call the chief juror clerk in your jurisdiction and see what he can come up with that can substantiate your claims.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. I will try.

You're very welcome.

You have a real defense here if you've done what you should with the ones in your legal name. This should come out okay.

Best of luck!