Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I have a question about sexual harassment. I am a massage

I have a question about sexual harassment. I am a massage therapist and my client of 6 years, who has never been inappropriate with me before, came onto me a few weeks ago. When I did not return his advances he fired me. I should also tell you that I clean his house and massage his wife, their 12 y/o daughter, and the employees who work for them.

So, he came onto me and I declined. He fired me from working on him but nor from doing the other things. Then he hurt his back a few days later and needed me to work on him. As I am a single mother of a special needs child, I accepted because I needed the money. His business brings in over $600/mo for me.

Once again, he came onto me again. This time I knew that my job was on the line. I accepted his advances and gave into his demands, which he so delicately put a "love."

I had hoped that would be the end of it and that he would have had his conquest and would have left me alone after that, but I was wrong. He wanted more and more. He insisted that I send him pictures and tease him with sweet emails and texts. Any time I didn't act "enthusiastic" enough about him he would threaten to fire me.

Pretty soon he had an inbox full of sweet emails and texts from me, which made me look like a willing participant. I was just telling him what he wanted to hear so that I could keep the job that I desperately needed.

Finally he started requesting that I accompany him on vacations and trips out of town. When I declined, he fired me completely. I begged him to at least let me keep cleaning the house but he refused.

So I went to his wife and confessed my wrongdoing to her. At first she believed me, but then he pulled out all of the emails and texts from me. He told her that I was the one who had come onto him and that he was the victim. She chose to believe him even though I told her that I wasn't the first woman he had cheated on her with. In fact, there were several others that I know of, one of whom killed herself in order to end the affair!

Now I'm scared that she will sue me or have me stripped of my license on ethical violation. I know that I was wrong and I looked her in her eyes and appologized to her. How many other women would have done that? I don't know where to go from here. I don't know what to do. Maybe there is a chance that this will all blow over and I will just have to hang my head in shame, but there is also the chance that I could be getting a letter from an attorney, or worse, the NC state board in the very near future.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. This person sounds like a real manipulator. As you are no doubt aware, while most of the country no longer has this offense on the books, North Carolina still permits victim spouses to sue for 'alienation of affection' and pursue damages to their reputation or to their marriage. I cannot tell you if she will pursue it, although this is a fairly popular option, only that she does have this as a potential claim. The best suggestion here is to look around and see if there are any sort of emails, chats, texts, etc, where you claimed duress or that you stated that you were uncomfortable with this whole situation. Then that documentation could be used to strengthen your story. Without it, however, it is really situation where it is solely up to her as to whether or not to choose to pursue something against you. There is as yet no need to obtain counsel as a vast majority of such claims do not go anywhere, but if she does decide to file against you, consider browsing the listings at and for competent counsel.

Good luck.