Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I had an accident recently where our car was hit by another

I had an accident recently where our car was hit by another car - whose driver di not contest the circumstances surrounding the accident . She admitted responsibility . At the time I did feel discomfort in my shoulders and neck, but felt it was probably only temporary based upon the jolt and impact. It continued for a few day thereafter but has been recurring daily in the past week or so - about 6 weeks after the accident . I signed off on the accident and the car repairs and I suspect the insurance company has now considered the case closed . Is there a limited time period in which action can be pursued? Does my signing the final documents not requesting medical treatment end any possibility that I can have medical attention at the cost of the insurance company ? Thanks
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you have signed off on the accident with the insurance company releasing them from any further liability, then this is a huge problem I am afraid. As you did know you felt "discomfort" it was your obligation to go to the doctor for medical treatment or examination before you signed off on the claim with the insurer.

Before you know what to do here, you need to read what your release with the insurance company states. If the release is a full release form, which it likely would be, then I am afraid that your right to pursue any further claims against the insurance company and/or the driver have been extinguished by your signing of that document, even though there is a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit and you might be within that statute of limitations.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”