TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Hello, my parents vehicle has been towed and well a certified

Hello, my parents vehicle has been towed and well a certified letter has been sent to them stating the charges and options they have in either getting the car back or forfeiting ownership to the towing company. My parents don't want to pay the charges and have decided to release the vehicle but along with the form with the appropriate item checked the towing company wants release of lien affidavit signed and returned. The check list form states that's they provided one in the certified enveloped but unfortunately they did not send one. What can be done t remedy the problem. I have sent an email with a follow up to the towing company but I have yet to receive a response. Thank you in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Did your parents owe any money on the car at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has been paid off but the towing company has charged towing and storage fees at 20 per day which is currently at 400 plus dollars
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The release of lien document is what the towing company needed you to have any lien holders on the car sign in order for the tow company to take the car free and clear.

Since there are not any liens, the first thing you need to do is call them and see if they still need this document completed. If you cannot get ahold of anyone, instead of emailing, send a certified letter in which you state that the vehicle has no liens and that your parents have assigned the title of the vehicle to the towing company in exchange for an agreement that no debt is owed on any towing or storage charges incurred in relation with the vehicle.

You need to make sure that this is the deal. In other words, the towing company needs to absolutely agree to stop charging and to settle the debt owed in exchange for the title to the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter also states that after 45 days the vehicle will be deemed as abandoned and then the towing company can also sell the car at an auction to compensate the losses and if the losses are greater,then my parents can be taken to court and sued to make up for the losses...do the emails I've sent to them have any validity in court....thanks
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that will matter is a document stating that they agree to not charge anything further and drop all the current charges in exchange for the title to the vehicle.

If you don't have this, then they can still take your parents to court for the charges that are over the value of the vehicle.
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs