Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Our daughter is 17, pregnant, and her and her boyfriend want

Our daughter is 17, pregnant, and her and her boyfriend want to keep the baby. She's a high school drop out working on getting her GED. He is 22 years old with only a GED, no other education or skills, has a full time job, currently staying with his mom, saving up for an apartment. Our daughter turns 18 one month after baby is born. As we are legally responsible for our daughter until age 18, are we also legally responsible for the health and welfare of her baby?
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

The answer to your question is NO. You are not legally responsible for the welfare of grandchildren.

The parents are. And once the baby is born, both parents will legally be required to share in the care and financial support for shelter, clothing and food.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. So we are still responsible for our daughter until age 18, but not her baby, in the state of Washington?

Hi

That is correct. She will be responsible for the child. And the Father will be responsible for the child. You have no legal obligation to your grandchild.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back asI am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.