Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

My BF took my car without my permission. I believe he has a

My BF took my car without my permission. I believe he has a drug problem. I called the police and filed a report. He was arrestted and my car was recovered crashed. The court placed an order of protection against him on my behalf I believe. His family called me all weekend to drop charges bc his is already on probation for something else which is was going away for this coming Wed. for 4 months. I went to the court house asked for his public defender he never spoke to me. I spoke with the DA stated that I wanted to drop the charges they are unwilling to drop them.

All I want is for him to get the help he needs ie. Rehab, not to ruin his life with fellonies. Should I get myself a lawyer? Who is really protecting me when my wishes are not being heared or even acknowleged? Why is the Public defender not talking to me? What can I do to ensure he gets help and not 5-10 years for a drug problem and 1500$ worth of damage that my INS company will pay for? NYS courts
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, once a crime has been reported the State decides whether or not to drop the charges. Because he is not your spouse, the State can require you to testify against him.

Getting a lawyer is not going to help you in this situation. Further, it will be up to the State to determine whether he is eligible for any drug treatment programs.

-ZDN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about the public defender? Can I help on his end to reduce the charges and get my BF the help I believe he needs?

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

You can, but you need to get your boyfriend to instruct the public defender to talk to you about the case. If you testify that you actually did give him permission to use your car, then the charges may be dropped down. In regards XXXXX XXXXX him the help he needs, this again will be something that is up to your boyfriend. You cannot force his lawyer to ask for something that he does not instruct the lawyer to ask for.

If the case goes to trial, you can ask the court to allow you to make a victim's impact statement that you think he needs drug treatment and that would be the best kind of sentencing that could be given to him.

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs