Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

I know of a person who has stolen the client database from

Customer Question

I know of a person who has stolen the client database from her current employer. She has also downloaded other private company data to a series of flash drives with the intention of starting a competing business and hurting her original employer. I know this because she did so and asked me to safeguard the flash drives until she has quit. This has to be wrong. Is this a felony? What should I do with 'what I now know' to be true?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

It isn't a felony, as in criminal law, but it is a civil law violation of the unfair business practices and improper use of proprietary information.

So, it's a situation where she (and you, if you assist) can be sued in civil court for these practices and fined.