TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I would like to sue United Airlines. I flew several times

Customer Question

I would like to sue United Airlines. I flew several times a year for my business then nothing. I accumulated a large number of frequent flyer miles. They went into lifetime miles but... because I did not fly for a year they are now "buy back" miles. I asked a representative on the phone about my options for reclaiming my miles without buying them back. The representative told me that if I acquired the Chase Mileage Plus Card and used it my miles would be once again available. I didn't believe this. I got another representative on the phone and she stated the very same thing. I asked clearly if this meant the miles would not be buy back. She said yes with a kind of attitude implying yes dummie that's what I said. She then connected me directly to CHASE Credit Cards. They took my application over the phone and approved me within minutes. I used the card over the next 3 months to the tune of about $3,000. My lifetime miles are still buy back. They are NOT being made available because of my CHASE card activity. The representatives of UNITED lied to me to get me to take out a credit card. This is bait and switch. I want to sue United for return of my miles, all expenses incurred during the suit and punitive damages for their deceptive business practices. Do I have a case?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You indeed do have a valid claim to file against United under the Iowa Consumer Fraud Act. The measure of your damages would be the equivalent cash value of the airline miles they told you would be returned. If you prove the misrepresentation was intentional, you could obtain double or treble your established economic damages (i.e., 2 to 3 x the value of the airline miles as punitive damages). Finally, attorneys fees would be obtainable by you if you win the lawsuit. You will not, on the other hand, be able to recover all expenses incurred during the suit (that's not generally recoverable).

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also
kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the
website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional
charge and does not prohibit you from further discussing your questions with
me.

Best Regards,

ZDN