ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am in the process of legally changing my last name. My wife

I am in the process of legally changing my last name. My wife and I got our marriage license with our current last names but we signed it with what our last names are XXXXX XXXXX be. Is this ok or will the state of Colorado reject this license?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

I have not found any support that would indicate that this would invalidate the marriage or even be the basis to invalidate it. First of all, the government does not review the signatures, and is not going to contact you regarding how you signed it. The only worry that you would have would be from the other spouse. Legally speaking, a mark made by someone with the intent that it be taken as his or her signature (even an "X" would be legally sufficient) would count as a signature.

ScottyMacEsq :

It does not have to be a specific form, or representation, letter for letter, of the current legal name.

ScottyMacEsq :

The issue is whether or not the person intended for it to be his or her signature, and if the intent is there, then it's almost impossible to overcome.

ScottyMacEsq :

And as I said before, I could find no basis for finding that a license application and license signed (albeit with the "new" names) would not be valid, as the question is not what name is XXXXX XXXXX whether the person signing it intended for it to represent his or her legal mark.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney