Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My ex-husband cosigned on a loan for our son for his college

My ex-husband cosigned on a loan for our son for his college tuition (he is 33 and goes to school at night). He stopped going to school, filed bankruptcy, got a divorce, and has stopped making the payments to the bank, so naturally they are demanding payment from my ex-husband.
He just got remarried to a woman who has her own home, though I imagine she has a mortgage, and I don't know if he has a job or not. Is there any way that a lien can be laced of on his new wife's house? Or garnish her wages?They currently live in Ohio.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. This is considered his debt, not hers. So, the government cannot take his new wife's house or garnish his new wife's wages because she has no liability for this debt. If they have a joint bank account or other joint brokerage accounts, because both names are XXXXX XXXXX account, those would be at risk. But, otherwise, her sole and separate assets are not going to be at risk for debt for which she has no liability.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!