Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

I have an ongoing problem with stalking, slander, and privacy

I have an ongoing problem with stalking, slander, and privacy law violations by one or more police officers in my area. This has been going on for over two years. I do not know the motive. I have never met any anyone in my local police department, and I have no criminal history. I am a writer / editor / proofreader. I do freelance work for a book publisher and individuals. I don’t write about politics or government, and I am not involved in any criminal activity. I spend most of my time writing or working out at my health club. I have a B.A. in French lit (1982).

I receive a portion of my income from the Veterans Administration. One or more police officers has disclosed this in public to salesclerks. Typically police will defame me with doctors, salesclerks, and military veterans / retirees. Two salesclerks told me that a police officer was talking about my work history and where I lived 15 years ago. Another told me that they made remarks about my VA income. Police often refer to me in public as mentally ill. They often claim I am an “enlisted” EMT, my military job 35 years ago.

No one has identified any police officer by name. Two years ago, when I first moved to the state I live in now, I was often insulted by total strangers in town who called me “mentally ill,” “paranoid schizophrenic,” and the like. I do not suffer from schizophrenia. I did see a psychiatrist 15 years ago. I am in good health.

In 2012, police arrived at my apartment banging on the door at 3 a.m. They said they were looking for somebody else. In 2007, in another state, police entered my apartment without a warrant, assaulted me several times, and left. I reported these incidents to numerous officials, but no disciplinary action was ever taken to the best of my knowledge.

So to summarize, police stalk and defame me, apparently for sport. People cannot or will not identify them. What do suggest I do about this?
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

This is an unfortunate situation. If you are fairly certain that these incidents come from the local police then my suggestion is that you file a complaint with the Attorney General's office in Florida (the Attorney General in each state is the chief law enforcement officer and all departments ultimately flow up to them) or you can contact the FBI and take the matter out of the hands of the local and state authorities to get some assistance with these incidents. The FBI is more equipped to perform an investigation into these matters than the state authorities and less likely to tip anyone off locally. Here is a link to the FBI Tampa office -- http://www.fbi.gov/tampa/contact-us/contact You can also hire a private investigator if you come up short with the FBI -- the private investigator can hopefully pull a case together for you and get some names and statements from some of these people or any witnesses who may have seen the stalking or harassments. Finally, I realize that you said it is difficult to determine who these officers are or where the slander is coming from - but if you find some names either through your own investigations or from the FBI you do have the right to hire a private attorney and pursue civil lawsuits against the individuals and departments involved in these matters.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time this evening. THANK YOU !!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It’s unfortunate all right. I’ve already filed numerous complaints with the AG, the FBI, and the Justice Department, and they haven’t done anything. Just in case you didn’t know, in person, police, FBI, and other law enforcement types are often rude and combative, which is why people avoid them. Plus the fear of false arrest. My late father was a judge.

I cannot afford a PI. Most people can’t. I cannot get a lawyer in the US now. They refuse to work. I have rarely been able to get an attorney in this country for anything. Are you suggesting I file another complaint with the AG and/or FBI?

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

-

Filing additional complaints cannot hurt so long as you space them so you are not doing it once a month (you do not want it to look harassing). Once every 9 months to a year is not too bad - that way it does not fall of their radar. Other than the complaints or a private investigator there really is no other way to pursue these matters -- you may want to try you local legal aid offices to see if they can refer you to a lower cost private investigator to assist you. I think you know that the major problem here is getting some witnesses to come forward and about the only way to do that is to have someone investigate the matter and collect any written witness statements that they can collect -- and for any evidence uncovered to be able to be used in court, you cannot be the person investigating these matters. It must be a neutral investigator.

-

MARY

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nobody’s going to help me in any legal aid office. My income is too high, and they wouldn’t help me anyway. They serve a tiny, tiny percentage of the population. Been there, done that.

I’m saving my money to move abroad. I can get treated better by the French or other foreigners. I can also live in a cheaper country which actually has legal services. Living here is like living in a country where you can’t get a doctor or a plumber. Did you know the US has more people in prison than any country in the world?

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again -

-

Most European countries have laws where a person can be held for up to a week without any formal charges for questioning. Also, countries like France and Italy have a single judge sit in judgment on most trials -- jury trials are rare and even in a jury trial many of them are members of the bar or judiciary. My point is that you should read up on some of the information on laws in any other country that you are considering living in before you make the move - that's all, I do wonder if you have tried all of these avenues and asked this question before here in Just Answer - then why do you ask it again?

-

And yes, I do realize that about our prison system and I find it disturbing that when my young daughter is an adult a lot more tax money will be spent to keep elderly men with large medical bills in prison because it seems that our legal system has no real capacity to be reasonable any longer -- with sentences like life in prison under the "three strikes" rules in many states and then the third strike is something petty like shoplifting?? It is insane -- it really is. There is a saying among young black Americans in our inner cities -- their "children don't go to Disneyland, they go to Prisonyland" -- that is very sad indeed,

-

I wish I could have given you better news here but I can only answer based upon the laws as they are currently and I cannot lie to your or gloss things over just to try to make you happy or satisfied with the answer or this service -- it would be unprofessional of me to do something like that. I would, however, appreciate it if you would press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for this time spent answering your question and responding to you this AM -- I truly am paid nothing unless you do so (I do not get a paycheck) and this is not a hobby for me (it is a living) and I DO appreciate it when my customers make sure that I am paid for my time before leaving the website,

--

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ask again because I’ve got to live here, at least for the time being. Moving to another country is expensive and usually requires a visa. If I had known the lawyer situation was this bad, I would have moved out of the country a long time ago. My father should have told me. Live and learn. That is all.

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Best of Luck -- honestly. And we are not all bad -- I have done a lot of pro bono (free) and greatly reduced work for persons who cannot afford it - that is why I really do need to be paid for the work that I do - so that I can help as many people as possible (if I lived in your area I probably would offer to help but there is not much I can do from here and we are not permitted to represent customers off of this website in any event). There are a lot of lawyers out there getting rich, but I am not one of them by any means (even I get appalled at what some lawyers charge and what they charge for - one lawyer I know charges for every voicemail she listens to and leaves for a client - I could not do that in good conscience and if someone is paying me for my services I only bill when I talk to them for more than 5 minutes). Again, I really would appreciate it if you would press the accept button so I will be paid for this time spent assisting you (we get just a small portion of each question amount - the website keeps most of it - but they keep all of it if the customer does not press accept or 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face under the answer box if that is what you see). MARY

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 15 years exp all aspects of general law