Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

We live in new jersey. My son received a ticket today for leaving

We live in new jersey. My son received a ticket today for leaving 2 large branches at our local park. Illegal dumping--can't read the violation number. Is this an ordiance ticket or is it something more serious?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Generally, such insignificant illegal dumping in New Jersey is an ordinance violation, however the only way to make sure is for your son to contact the municipal court clerk listed on the citation and the clerk will be able to confirm this information and that it is in fact an ordinance violation.

I wish you and your son the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it seem more serious that he is required to appear in court. The state of new jersey is on the ticket but so is our local municipality
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, a violation of the local ordinance would require a court appearance in the municipal court and generally the fine for such illegal dumping is around $100, however your son should check with the municipal court where his case is pending and they will be able to provide him with all the details about this citation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you I feel a little better because I searched the Internet and they were talking about jail and community service. He really just wasn't thinking and was trying so hard to get it all done for us. I will have him call tomorrow. He is worried because he is applying for jobs--will this be on his record. Good night and thanks again-maybe I can get some sleep.
Dear XXXXX,

Most of the information that you would find on the internet regarding "illegal dumping" generally related to commercial dumping of waste and not to some small individual violation.

I wish you and your son the best of luck and please click on the excellent service rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again and I did submit the excelent rating. Does this violation go on his record? Again, good night!!
Thank you for accepting my answer and for your kind rating.

An ordinance violation is not a crime and does not go on the person's criminal record.