Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I missed a court hearing for a garnishment against my wages

Customer Question

I missed a court hearing for a garnishment against my wages for a credit card that I had years ago. I just started a new job and could not take the time off. A judgement was entered against me to garnish my wages. I knew this would be the case and accepted the fact.

The plaintiff sent a letter of the decision and also advised that I could volunteer my employer's information or they would get it from the State of Indiana. I did not volunteer the information. After several month, it appeared they could not find my employer's information. I received another notice about the case but I didn't read it because I knew a decision had been made. Several weeks ago, I received another summons from the court stating that I need Appear and Show Cause why I should not be held in Contempt of Court.

1. How do I show cause why I should not be held in contempt?
2. Now that I have to appear in court, I want to fight this garnishment. I can barely pay my bills. I am a single parent of 3 kids. I didn't realize they garnishment was 25% of my wages. How can I get this reduced? I'm willing to comply but 25% is too much.
3. Is it too late to settle. The bill was $900. Now is $1500 because of court costs.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Andrea and my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service

When was the last time there was any activity on the credit card (either making a payment, or using it to charge something) ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2010 was last payment

I will be right with you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Andrea,

I'm due in court in approximately 1 hour. Any advice?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The original attorney who responded has opted out. It also appears that your court date has passed. Do you still required help with those issues?