How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask xavierjd Your Own Question

xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend just had and accident where she took a left hand

Customer Question

My friend just had and accident where she took a left hand turn and a motorcyclist in oncoming traffic clipped the rear of the car and wiped out.....the motorcyclist had scrapes but no major injuries.....police issued friend a ticket for failure to yield causing an accident. This is the state of michigan.....what can my friend expect in terms of fines and possible legal actions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Do you know what your friend's driving record is like? Do you know if s/he has had any tickets in the last few years?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe so....she had a rear end collision 2 years ago that she was at fault.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,

First, your friend should go to court. There should either be a court date on the ticket OR there are instructions for how long (usually 10 days) he has to call the court to make a court date. Your friend SHOULD NOT just pay the ticket.

When your friend goes to court, if the other person involved in the accident (the motorcyclist) doesn't show up, your friend can plead NOT RESPONSIBLE when his/her case is called. If the other person isn't there, the case will most likely be dismissed.

If your friend goes to court and the other person does appear, both persons will tell their side of the story. The officer can only testify as to his/her accident investigation and how s/he came to the decision to write the ticket to your friend. Also, if there were any other witnesses to the accident, they may be notified to appear. If any show up, they can testify as to what they saw. After all the testimony is heard, the magistrate/judge will decide "by the preponderance of the evidence" if your friend is responsible for the violation or not.

The preponderance of the evidence is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence. It is a MUCH lesser standard than "beyond a reasonable doubt." In the case decided on the "preponderance of the evidence," the scale just has to tip a tiny bit one way or the other such that the magistrate/judge can make a decision.

If your friend has a hearing and is found responsible, 2 points will be added to his/her driving record. The points will stay on his/her record for 2 years. The fines and costs vary from city to city. Your friend can call the court and ask what the fine/cost is for the violation.

Even if the motorcyclist doesn't show up and the case is dismissed, that doesn't mean that s/he won't bring a civil action against your friend. If that happens, your friend needs to contact his/her auto insurance company ASAP. Hopefully, the attorney for his/her insurance company will handle the matter. If the insurance company denies coverage, then your friend needs to contact his/her own civil attorney to assist in his/her defense.

Your friend may wish to contact an attorney who specializes in traffic/criminal law. Sometimes, an initial consultation is free or at a minimal cost. S/he can discuss the specific facts of the case, evaluate his/her options and decide how to proceed. It is possible that attorney may be able to get the violation reduced to a "0" point violation without the necessity of a hearing. Again, your friend's driving record will be important in determining if a "0" point resolution can be made. An example of a "0" point violation that is sometimes used is called "impeding traffic."

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
xavierjd and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,


Expert:  xavierjd replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the GENEROUS bonus too! I appreciate it VERY much!

Best wishes,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions